Tuesday 7 April 2009

After attending the Design Connexity Conference last week, my project has taken a curious turn.
I was listening to a paper by Andrew B Wootton, Melissa Marselle and Caroline L. Davey entitled CITY CENTRE CRIME: DESIGN THINKING FOR SAFER CITY CENTRES.
The main thing I took away from the presentation was that the level of perceived crime is actually higher than the level of crime, meaning people believe there is more crime taking place than there actually is.
With this in mind I questioned as to why I was designing a product for crimes that are less than likely to happen.
There finding also proved that the design of public space can actually have an effect on the amount of crime taking place in different areas.
This is what I am now looking at, how design can help change a public space and hopefully make it more accessible.

No comments: