Thursday 7 August 2008

Birdhouse

This is my favourite piece of work so far.
This was the result of our final project for year two. The project was called "waste aware" and was ran in connection with the Creative Waste Exchange (CWE), a company which collects a large variety of industrial and household waste products which would otherwise end up in the skip. The CWE allows people to come in and purchase these items for a significantly reduced price allowing the product to gain a second life.
Our aim was to take something which was otherwise considered to be waste and redesign it a new function and life.
I chose the plant pot because it is a mass produced item which creates a great deal of waste.
My initial ideas were ok but failed to use the entire pot and as a result would still be contributing to waste.
My final idea, seen above, was much more successful. There was no waste because the whole plant pot is used along with some other material to construct the face and the perch.
One of the aspects that I love about this design is its diversity. The final product can look totally different depending on the materials used. Meanwhile the way in which the birdhouse is fixed depends on the degree at which the face is set, for example, the one shown above is designed to hang from tree branches.

2 comments:

Roberta said...

Paul, Are you selling your birdhouse? I'd love to carry it in my retail birding store in New Mexico! Roberta

Unknown said...

I like this birdhouse very much. Do you have any to sell? I am opening a gallery/shop in Bristol
charlie@charlieboots.com